How to Change Your Name After You Get Married in Maryland

Apr 15, 2022

Just got married or getting ready to soon? Congratulations!! This is such an exciting time, but remember to figure out the logistics of getting your name changed if you will be changing yours!

The process of changing your name can be confusing, so we wanted to put together this easy-to-follow process guide for you to easily get your name changed in Maryland after getting married.

Changing Your Name in Maryland After Getting Married

Here are some steps to follow after you get married in Maryland to change your name!

Before wedding: get marriage license

The first step to changing your name actually comes before the wedding. You need to get your marriage license! You will do this in the county that you’re getting married in (or Baltimore City). If you’re getting married in another state, you will need to look up the guidelines for that state. Some states require you to get the license in the county that you’re getting married in, others do not.

Contact the clerk’s office in the county/city you’re getting married in. When you fill it out, make sure that you include the name that you’d like to change yours to to make the process easier.

When you have your marriage license, you will have to get married within 6 months before the license expires. So, keep this in mind when you are figuring out when to get the marriage license! After your wedding day is over, your officiant will typically take care of filing it for you.

Social Security

After the wedding, your first step to changing your name is to go through the Social Security Administration. For this, we recommend giving your local office a call. With COVID, policies have changed a bit, and different offices may require a different process than another.

I got married in 2021, and all I had to do was mail a certified copy of my marriage license into the local office along with the application form. I received my new card in the mail in about two weeks!

Usually, you will need to file in person. Be prepared to have a certified copy of your marriage certificate, your driver’s license, and birth certificate handy.


After you change your name with Social Security, you’ll want to get your passport changed (if you have one). This process is the same throughout the country, but may vary person to person depending on your circumstances. Give the US Department of State website a visit for details on changing your name for your passport!

Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA)

Next, you need to change your name on your driver’s license with the MVA. You’ll need your updated Social Security card for this step, so make sure that you have that done before going to the MVA!

Unfortunately, this step does need to be done in-person. There is no way around that. However, it’s a pretty simple process if you have all of the correct paperwork! You will be mailed your new license afterward.

Get name changed everywhere else

Once you have all of the legalities done, it’s time to change your name everywhere else!

Some places to remember to change your name with include: 

  • Bank and credit card companies
  • Your employer
  • Insurance and health care providers
  • Mortgage or lease
  • Utilities
  • Venmo/Paypal/Cash app/etc.
  • Internet/TV
  • Cell phone
  • Car title
  • Recycling/trash
  • IRS (optional)
  • School or student loans
  • Will or living trust (potentially with parents, too)
  • Vet
  • Library card
  • Online subscriptions
  • Loyalty cards
  • Airline miles
  • Social media accounts
  • Gym memberships
  • And more!

You will most likely be changing your name on a lot of random things, and it may take a while for everything to be switched over. But that’s okay! It’s always a relief to get it over with as soon as possible so that you don’t have to worry about it for too long and have any confusions later on.